"I thought you would like to know that I have finally completed my chair, and to see a ‘before’ and ‘after’ photo!
Over a period of six months, and I hate to think just how many hours, I stripped it back from a very ugly, smelly, rickety and sorry state, and built it back up into something I am happy to have in the house. Obviously there are mistakes, some of which I rectified as I went along, and some that I see now that it’s complete that will have to remain. I can see that experience plays an enormous part in upholstery. If I did it again, I could do it differently, more confidently, and better, but isn’t that life.
With hindsight I realise that it was a ridiculously complicated project to attempt having only ever covered a few dining chair seat pads before, but I have learnt so much about so many different processes, and most importantly enjoyed all of it. Even when it went wrong it was a challenge.
I especially enjoyed the springing and rolled edges. The worst moment was when a large crack appeared in one of the legs as I was fixing the piping! (Hopefully mended successfully).
The tutorials really are excellent, clear, informative, good production and presenter!
If you can’t see from the photo, for the front I used a cotton/linen mix, and for the back and piping a toning deep sea-green velvet. I really like the way that looks as it curves around the sides.
I’ve started looking at the charity shops for the next upholstery project. Now if I could just get a lot quicker and persuade someone to pay me for doing it I’d be very happy!"